In an alert posted to the Noridian Healthcare Solutions site last month, DME MACs encouraged suppliers to log into PECOS and verify the Medical Records Correspondence Address (MRCA) is accurate in the Medicare enrollment record. An incorrect address will result in misdirected audit letters from the DME MACs and UPIC auditors, and failing to respond to one of those is a bad, bad thing. While the MRCA is not a new field on the enrollment record, it is only recently that the DME MACs began using it exclusively. Given the change in protocol, we recommend all suppliers, even those that have not had problems receiving audit letters, verify the MRCA.
- Unified Program Integrity Contractor (UPIC):
- Pre-payment reviews – MRCA or the payee address when the MRCA is not specified.
- Post-payment reviews – Payee address.
- Supplemental Medical Review Contractor (SMRC) – Mailing address.
- Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) – Payee or physical address specified here.